From Blood’s History of Cross

Advertisements

Flashback!

From September 3rd to September 5th of 1892, a storm raged through Cross.

Lightning tore through fields, destroyed buildings, and laid waste to crops. Thunder shook the siding off houses and the shingles from their roofs. Trees were felled by the shaking of the earth, and the train tracks leading into and out of Cross were warped.

On the morning of September 6th, the storm was over, and the ringing of a blacksmith’s hammer could be heard on the outskirts of town.

For eight days this continued, until the source of the noise was found to originating from Duncan Blood’s farm.

A group of townsfolk traveled to the farm and found a blacksmith working at his anvil. When the concerned citizens approached the shop, Duncan stepped out from the shadows and stopped them. Over his shoulder, they could see the blacksmith working on a sword, dozens of others were being sharpened by some of his apprentices. Old plows and shears hung on the walls and were stacked in piles around the shop, and they could see it was from these the blacksmith was transforming into swords.

When asked why the man was making so many swords, Duncan smiled and replied, “Because there are just some people in this world who need killing.”

The sound of the hammer rang out every day for 22 more years.

#horror #fear #art

Published by

Nicholas Efstathiou

Husband, father, and writer.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.